Started in 1985, Mushroom the Journal is a quarterly magazine for people curious about wild mushrooms – whether for hunting and cooking, their different roles in human culture, or their unique biology.
We regularly feature:
- finding and cooking edible mushrooms
- reviews of the latest mushroom books
- a mushroom-themed crossword puzzle
- interviews with mushroom-hunters and mycologists
Besides these, we cover topics like:
- mushrooming around the world
- newly-identified species
- mushrooms in human history
- biographies of important mycologists
We also give in-depth answers to important questions like:
- If you discover a new species, can you name it anything you want?
- Does Schizophyllum have 10,000 sexes or 20,000?
- Can you grow your own truffles? Train your own truffle hound?
- What happens when a bear eats the wrong kind of mushroom?